8500 Grenache Ct, San Jose, California 95135 – November 21, 2017
Here are some highlights from 2017:
- We continue to volunteer at the Computer History Museum. This year’s projects have been in their archives warehouse in Fremont, about 25 miles north of where we live. In February our team finished the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) collection, and since then we have had a variety of paper and photographic objects from many technology companies.
- We moved again, this time back to the Villages. Note our new address above. We are renting a very pretty condo with a nice view of the hills.
- In January we did a research project for an organization called MIPI (they are an electronics standards organization).
- In April we went on a Road Scholar trip to Cortez, Colorado, where we helped a team of archaeologists survey a ranch to find remnants of Prehistoric Puebloan Indian sites. We found nine sites during the week we were there.
- In May the big event was our granddaughter Miranda’s graduation from high school. Many people from the extended family came for the graduation and the party afterward at the Livengood house.
- We entered and finished several 5K running races during the year. One of our favorites is the Stanford Race Against PH in November. Since we are getting up in years, we win medals much of the time because there are so few people that enter in our age group! This is something we never expected.
- Anna and I were students in a Data Science class at Stanford in June and July. We learned a lot about data analytics and machine learning and it was a real challenge for the two of us to keep up with mostly tech workers in their 30s, but we did it.
- In June and October we visited our daughter Gillian and her family in Minnesota. In June our grandson Archer graduated from elementary school and in October we saw the Fall colors, which are amazing.
- We had planned to be on a hiking trip to Crater Lake in Oregon in September, but the trip was cancelled because of forest fires being active nearby. There were a lot of fires on the West Coast this year!
- Instead of going hiking in Oregon, we did some short trips to Northern California and the Central Coast near San Luis Obispo.
- This year the we will be with the Livengoods and Tim at the race track celebrating Thanksgiving.
- In early December, Dick will celebrate his 75th birthday while working as a volunteer helping to restore and preserve the USS Battleship Missouri in Honolulu, Hawaii. Later in December we will be joined at the beach on the Central Coast to celebrate New Years’s and Archer’s birthday.