This page is an overview. For more detailed information, see the documents linked in “For more information,” below.
About the Dienst family
Johanna (Jo) Dienst is William (Bill) Van Raaphorst’s mother and Anna’s stepmother.
Dienst ancestors were living in the area north of Amsterdam (Waterland) around 1800. Jo’s parents moved independently to Amsterdam, and they were married there.
Jo’s father apparently died about 1910. In 1912 Jo’s brother Johannes immigrated to the United States. In 1913 Jo’s mother Geertje, Jo, and Jo’s other brother Jacob also migrated, sailing from Rotterdam on the SS Nordam (Holland America Line). The Dienst family arrived in New York and settled in Detroit, Michigan.
By about 1914, brother Jacob had returned to the Netherlands, where he married in 1920. He died in Rotterdam at age 27.
Mother Geertje, daughter Jo, and son John stayed in Detroit, where Jo worked as a milliner and married John van Raaphorst in 1917.
Jo and brother John both died in their 30s, John in 1934 and Jo in 1937. Geertje made a visit to the Netherlands in 1922, and continued to live in the Detroit area for many years. She died at age 77 in Port Huron, Michigan.
- van den Bosch
Unanswered questions about the Diensts
- What is the date of Jo’s father’s death? What was the cause of death?
- Why did Jo’s brother Jacob go back to the Netherlands?
- Are any of Jo’s brother John’s descendants still alive? If so, where do they live?
For more information
- van Raaphorst-Metsch family history (2014) (history of the van Raaphorst and Metsch families)
- Outline Ancestor Report for Johanna Jo Dienst
- Untangling the Tangled Tale of My Dutch Immigrant Ancestors (2014)